Friday, May 23, 2008

Michael & Lanette: E-Session


I met Mike years and years ago while I was in high school via BlackPlanet** (a predated, pre-fab attempt at social networking ... those Facebook creators were probably still prepubescent at the time!!) I had connected with a group of creative friends -- photographers, musicians, web designers -- for a school project, and was soon "adopted" by my big brother Miguel. He was great -- there to help me through some really difficult "high school drama" moments, a bona fide mentor in everything from the piano to Photoshop, and super-encouraging about the possibilities of life (not to mention, Miguel sent me SO MUCH free software when I never would have been able to afford it otherwise ... everything I know about graphics, I got from Miguel).

In fact, Miguel was the first person I tried my "free postage" trick with (his idea, my lab test, lol). Did you know that if you send a card, putting your (the sender) address where you normally put the "to" (the recipient) address, and put your penpal (the recipient) address where you normally put the return address, and you drop it in the mail with NO POSTAGE ... that the US Mail service will stamp no postage and "return to sender" ... which will have been listed as the person you were sending it to?? Genius, lol.

At any rate, when he heard about what Leia and I were doing, he gladly signed us up for his forthcoming wedding (and I can't wait to show you those pictures!!) So, a few weeks ago, we headed up to Shockhoe Slip in Richmond, VA -- a halfway point between North Carolina and DC -- to capture some pre-wedding pictures. Meet Mike and Lanette ...

 © Leia Adelle Photography

© Leia Adelle Photography

© Leia Adelle Photography

The skies dramatically opened and rain began to fall pretty soon after we began our shoot, which was of great relief to our pollen-laden landscape (seriously, in North Carolina and Virginia, everything turns bright yellow come April and May!), but was a little traumatic for our baby cameras! So, we ducked inside a cute restaurant for some salads, Shirley Temples, and this sweet moment:

© Leia Adelle Photography


We decided to bear the rain a bit, thanks to Mike's big black umbrella. He admits that he didn't exactly "see" what we were going for, but this little "let the love rain down" series made the wetness worth it:

© Leia Adelle Photography


© Leia Adelle Photography


Before heading out, we saw this great wall and thought of Mike and Lanette having superstar status. Unfortunately, Mike was quickly accused of treason, having jeopardized his status as an official Washington Redskins fan. To that, Mike has a brief statement: Before we took this shot, we verified with the Department of Redskins Fans Affairs that this wasn't a Cowboys star. I have the paperwork.

On with the Dallas Cowboys, er, I mean, the nice shots against the wall ... *smile*

© Leia Adelle Photography


© Leia Adelle Photography


© Leia Adelle Photography


Stay tuned for the wedding pictures ...


**Disclaimer: I can hear some of you now: "So, Amey ... you met this random older-guy-dude on the Internet in high school? " LOL. In no way, shape, or form do I think you should let your children run free online!!! I met Mike as I was looking for mentors to learn from, and was totally legitimized by his (a) willingness to communicate with my parents -- he *almost* made it to my high school graduation, and (b) that I didn't meet just one person, but a great group of friends who were actually friends of friends in the various MD/DC/VA Christian music circles, known then by aliases such as [insert shoutout] 6-3brotha, j276, latina_flava, 11-2-Heaven, springhonie, Altar_Ego, dragonflyy, Nsashible, cutieerica, and more [end shoutout] ... (That's a throwback for ya!!!) So yeah ... its not as sketch as it sounds, and after eight years, we look back on those relationships with awe ... thank for everything, BP fam!!! Love, Ava48140**

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog ladies and beautiful pictures. Looking at the raindrops in the background makes me wanna go out and play under the golden drops of hydration. Keep up the good work and I cant wait to hear about the next chapter. Peace, love, and pics.

Anonymous said...

the pics are great, i look forward to reading the blog.